Put Our Experience To Work For You

Free Initial Consultations

3 common head injuries after a car accident

On Behalf of | Jul 21, 2017 | Car Accidents |

Car accidents are a major cause of traumatic brain injuries, or TBI. Trauma to your brain can occur during a car crash if your skull strikes an object such as the windshield or steering wheel. However, you may still get a brain injury even if you did not hit a physical object. Sometimes simply the sheer force of a collision can cause your brain to hit the internal bone of your skull.

If you recently got into a car accident, you should see your doctor to determine whether you have a TBI. For further information, here are some common complications caused by head injuries as noted by Harvard Health Publications.

1. Concussion

If you are experiencing any memory problems, confusion or loss of consciousness following your accident, you might have a concussion. Other symptoms include:

  • Seizures
  • Vomiting
  • Ringing in the ears
  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue

A concussion can cause your brain to swell, potentially leading to a fatal increase in pressure within your skull.

2. Contusion

If your brain is bruised, you likely have a contusion. A CT scan will show bruising or swelling. The force of your car accident may have caused your brain to bounce around within your skull, leading to potential bruising in two areas. Common contusion symptoms include headaches, visual problems and slurred speech.

3. Acute subdural hematoma

A subdural hematoma, commonly referred to as simply a hematoma, is also caused when your head moves violently back and forth. Unlike a contusion, which is only characterized by bruising, a hematoma involves internal bleeding. This is oftenn a life-threatening injury. Symptoms include confusion, headaches, lethargy and weakness. Symptoms sometimes do not present for days or weeks.

As you can tell, brain injuries are serious and can have fatal consequences. If you notice any of these symptoms after a car accident, even just a headache, you should see your doctor as soon as possible.

FindLaw Network