The Physical And Emotional Injuries Caused By Dog Bites
An uncontrolled dog can cause severe injury in a matter of seconds. In Ohio, the owner or keeper of a dog is strictly liable for any injury, death or loss the animal causes.
At Mezibov Butler, we have helped many dog bite victims and their families pursue full and fair compensation.
What To Do If You Have Been Bitten By A Dog
If you or a family member is bitten by a dog, there are several steps that can help you optimize your physical and financial recovery:
- If you can, identify the dog and its owner. If you cannot identify the owner, contact your local animal control office and an officer will assist you.
- If the bite broke your skin, it is critical that you seek immediate medical attention. If you have identified the dog, it can be tested for rabies and your medical care providers will know what kind of medical treatment is required.
- Get the name and contact information of any witnesses. Their testimony may be important if you bring a legal claim for your injuries.
- Document all of your wounds, bruises and scratches with photographs. As you seek medical treatment, be sure to maintain your records so you can determine the damages associated with your injury.
- Get the dog owner’s insurance information if you can. Tell him or her that you have incurred medical expenses and need the contact information of their homeowners or renters insurance carrier.
- If you have concerns about paying for medical treatment or believe the insurance company is treating you unfairly, contact a lawyer as soon as possible. When you work with our attorneys, we will handle the entirety of your legal claim so you can focus on recovering your health.