Put Our Experience To Work For You

Free Initial Consultations

Who do I report sexual harassment to?

On Behalf of | Dec 12, 2022 | Employment Law |

Sexual harassment in the workplace is a serious issue. Whether coworkers are making unsavory remarks or a higher-up is making sexual demands, you should not tolerate any behavior that makes you feel unsafe.

You may feel embarrassed, uncomfortable and even scared to speak up about sexual harassment. However, it is essential that you know who to reach out to.

Your employer

You can start off by reaching out to your employer. A supervisor can set up meetings so that all employees understand the rules regarding sexual harassment, as well as what their rights are when they are dealing with such a situation. Your employer can also take disciplinary action against anyone who violates the rules.

A government agency

You could also report sexual harassment to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and/or the Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC). These agencies are responsible for investigating reports of discrimination in the workplace, and sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination. Keep in mind that in Ohio, it is illegal for anyone to retaliate against you for filing a complaint with the OCRC.

A lawyer

If you call a lawyer first thing, you can get advice on how to report the incident and move forward with your case. A lawyer can help you understand your rights and plan your next course of action. Sexual harassment is illegal and it can be grounds for litigation.

Remember that this is your workplace and you have every right to feel comfortable and safe. By speaking out about sexual harassment, you can help create a better environment for yourself and others.

FindLaw Network